Now in its 52nd year providing for aviation enthusiasts in the Gatwick area.
The monthly magazine Hawkeye is now no longer in production, having completed 50 years of publication. To find out what has been happening at Gatwick over the last few days, click the 'movements' tab above, then 'daily listings' in the drop-down, and enter the relevant date. For more general news items see below. Other activities include regular slide shows, an annual International Enthusiasts Fair and aviation publications. Scroll down for airline/airport news and slide-show links.
HB-ILD, a Balair Cargo DC-4 pictured way back when...
Image from Pierre-Alain Petit via Tom Singfield.
Now you all have 2019 diaries, be sure to enter the convention date, LGW2019 will be on Sunday 14th April. Click events above to see the flyer.
The slide-show dates for the autumn/winter of 2018 are available, click 'go' below to see them, presenters are now being confirmed. Note the new start time, 1900, aiming to finish at 2200.
21.12.18 AIRPORT NEWS-NEW OWNERSHIP The current owners, a consortium led by Global Infrastructure Partners, have announced the sale of a 50.01% stake in the airport to a France based airport operator, Vinci Airports. They 'own' more than 40 airports world wide. GIP will retain the remaining 49.99% and the current senior management team will remain in place.
05.12.18 AIRLINE NEWS-FINNAIR will reprise last winter's service once more, they will run until March 22nd;
From 16th December on Sundays, AY661, STA0740, Ivalo, A320/321
From 16th December on Sundays, AY657, STA0805, Kittila, A320/321
From 20th December on Thursdays, AY661, STA1100, Ivalo, A320/321
05.12.18 AIRLINE NEWS-WIZZ AIR will add a Budapest and Cluj flights to its current Bucharest operation next spring;
From 31st March Daily, WZZ2221, STA1935, Budapest, A320/321
From 31st March Daily, WZZ3309, ETA2000, Cluj, A320/321
05.12.18 AIRLINE NEWS-FLYBE will apparently transfer their current 3x daily Newquay service to Heathrow on 31st March 2019. Scheduled services from the far west of England to Gatwick began in 1969 when Westward Airways Islanders inaugurated services to Plymouth and Newquay in between their Heathrow shuttle services. These flights were subsidised by the then West of England Development Board, an arrangement continued by its successors through the 'Brymon years' until the present. Presumably they have increased the level of subsidy!
Scroll down to see details of 'Survivors'
Please note that some of this material is for members only.
If you have suitable material which you would like included in our site or any other input, please EMail email@example.com
All rights reserved.
Users are advised that the photographs or information contained on this website cannot be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in the form in which it appears, by any means electronic, photocopying, recording or otherwise, or in any technology yet to be invented, without the express prior written permission of the Gatwick Aviation Society or the Copyright owner. Individual items of information may be used in other publications with due acknowledgement to the Gatwick Aviation Society.